Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
'Jubilee Memorial', 1887
stone - surrounded by 4 cast iron gas lamps
Endcliffe Park, visible from Rustlings
Road. Originally at the top of Fargate, moved in 1905 to be replaced by
the statue of Queen
Victoria by Alfred Turner (now itself in Endcliffe Park and visible
from Hunter's Bar roundabout). (A-Z p97 5H)
Stone memorial, c. 10m high, surrounded
by four cast iron gas lamps. It consists of obelisk of red polished granite
set above a carved stone capitol above a block of grey polished granite.
This latter carried an inscription:
The obelisk is mounted on stone
blocks set on a paved area on a patch of leveled ground overlooking the
playing fields in the park.
Approved by Lord Mayor's advisory
The gas lamps have been removed
from their holders, which remain.