Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
motifs and coat of arms, 1938
The Royal Institute for the Blind
limestone removed - the building has been demolished and the site redeveloped
Above the main entrance to the Royal
Institute for the Blind, Mappin Street, S1 (A-Z p.4 4B)
On the top of the left hand column
by the entrance is a blindfolded head in front of a grating. The right hand
column is topped by a hand interpreting braille in front of a symbol for
light. Between the column is a finely detailed carving of the Royal coat
The architects for the building
were Hadfield and Cawkwell, a Sheffield-based firm.
The same artist also worked on
reliefs for the Gas
Showrooms on Commercial Street, S1, and inside the Church of the
Sacred Heart beyond the city centre in Hillsborough.
[Update - 2008]
The Royal Institute for the Blind building is to be replaced by a new structure - it is our understanding that this sculpture will in same way be incorporated into the new building.