Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
‘Cairns Statue’, 1896
20 Church Street, S1
Exterior of building on 20 Church
Street, S1 (A-Z p5 3C)
Statue of legal figure, presumably
Judge Cairns, standing, robed, in a niche. Ht: c. 4ft. There is a considerable
amount of other decorative stonework on the exterior of the building, presumably
carried out by Frank Tory's firm of architectural stonemasons.
The buildings were designed for
Henry & Alfred Maxwell, solicitors. The offices were later used by Hadfield
and Cawkwell, well-known 19th C architects.
The face of the statue is now
somewhat weathered. Hugh McCalmont Cairns (1819-1985) , Baron Cairns of
Garmoyle was once Lord Chancellor. His connection with Henry and Alfred
Maxwell is not known.
'Civic Art in Sheffield',
pub. Sheffield Society for the Encouragement of Art/ Sheffield Museum Society,