Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
untitled - commemorative mosaic, post 1919
The GPO sorting office, Abbeydale Road South
materials - not known
The GPO sorting office, Abbeydale
Road South. (A-Z p.121 2G)
The commerative mosaic is contained
in three 'windows' above the entrance. The left hand panel shows a nurse
and the date 1914, the right hand panel shows a soldier and the date 1919.
The central, larger, panel has a clock face and the words:
"THIS BUILDING WAS USED AS A
V.A.D. HOSPITAL DURING THE GREAT WAR"
details not known
"The hall was built 1893 at the
expense of Ebenezer Hall of Abbeydale Park. From 1914 it was used as a hospital,
mainly for wounded Belgians. Nursing staff were found from within the parish
(St. John the Evangelist)...
The main hall was small and cruciform in shape and found to be unsuitable
for the needs of the church. The post office began to rent the church hall
in 1950, and at first the building was used for delivery work in the mornings
(Dore, Totley and Bradway area), and for church activities at night. It
was sold to the GPO in 1956 for £4,000 ....."
(from an e-mail from Sylvia
Pybus: Local Studies Library, Sheffield)