Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
and sculptor not known
Memorial Arch, built in 1910
Memorial Arch near the St Aidan's
Road entrance to Norfolk Park.. (A-Z p.99 5H)
A large arch, obviously the relic
of a larger building. One side carries a profile of the Duke in relief at
the top of the arch in addition to two coats of arms. To the left is the
coat of arms of the Dukes of Norfolk; to the right is that of the City of
Sheffield. There is an inscription beneath which reads:
"THIS BUILDING IS SET UP
FOR THE USE OF THE PUBLIC AND TO
COMMEMORATE THE GIFT OF THIS
PARK TO THE CITIZENS OF SHEFFIELD
BY HENRY: DUKE OF NORFOLK: K.G.
Originally part of a larger
building that housed a public refreshment pavilion, built to commemorate
the gift of the park to the citizens of Sheffield. Norfolk Park was created,
in the 1840's, by the 12th Duke of Norfolk in a style fashionable during
the Victorian period on land owned by his family; the Howard's. In 1848
this became one of the first parks in Britain to be opened free to the
general public as the Duke became concerned at the level of poverty and
over population of the area. It was donated by the Howard family to the
City of Sheffield in 1909 and remains today as a public space.
A substantial statue of the Duke by Edward Onslow Ford is located in the
entrance hall of Sheffield Town Hall.
'Norfolk Heritage Park';
leaflet published by Sheffield City Council.