Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
Jeffcock Memorial Fountain, 1903
Ecclesfield Park, near playground.
(A-Z p5 4F)
This monument, in polished black
granite, was formerly a fountain and is comprised of a central column and
circular bath. It has carved decorative elements, a section of polished pink
granite and three simple inscriptions bearing the names and dates of members
of the Jeffcock family. There is an inscription around the edge of the bath.
The monument is set on a stepped granite plinth constructed of shaped slabs
of unpolished grey granite and is surrounded on three sides by a low stone
Inscriptions: Inscription on plaques read: front - JEFFCOCK / MEMORIAL / 1902
right - MARIA / JEFFCOCK / 20 MAY / 1883
left - THOMAS WILLIAM / JEFFCOCK / J.P - D.L / 3 AUGUST / 1900
The Jeffcocks were a large and prominent
local family that settled in Handsworth in the 17th century and there are
over 60 entries, for members of the family, in the Handsworth Parish Registers
between 1636 and 1768. They had moved from Eckington, in nearby Derbyshire,
where the earliest record of them dates from 1351. The most notable member
of the family was William Jeffcock, who was born in Handsworth in 1800 and,
in 1843, became the very first Mayor of Sheffield. He also became an Alderman
and remained on the Council for 10 years. In 1846 he was nominated as a Justice
of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire.