Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
by J.F. Bently; sculpted by Mr. Phyffers
'Saint Cecilia', 1865
[Listed Building: Grade II]
On exterior of Cecilia House - 65
Westbourne Road, Sheffield, S10. (A-Z p.98 4A)
A circular plaque, which appears
to be carved in stone, showing the female figure with a halo, Saint Cecilia,
seated and playing an organ. On the other side of the organ stands an Angel
who holds her music. The carving contains a considerable amount of detail.
Inscription: Above the plaque, inscribed
in a stone block: WTS / 1865
William Stacy, a pianoforte dealer,
who had the house built by architects Hadfield and Sons of Sheffield. Unfortunately
the cost of the building assisted in Stacy's subsequent bankruptcy.
The sculptor, "Mr Phyffers",
is described as being "of Pimlico" and " the well known sculptor"
The house has now been divided into
flats. The plaque is visible from the road; it is carved with a degree of
The Building News (1868)
quoted on the BANG website (Broomhall Action and Neighbourhood Group http://www.map21ltd.com/Broomhill/BANG_12.htm
[last visited 5/09/2005]