Two triangular reliefs either side of a curved door. The right hand relief shows two cherubs talking to each other on an early version of a telephone on either side of the naked figure of Science. The figure of Art, holding a chisel and mallet, has a cherub at her feet holding a palette and brushes and another at her left shoulder holding a diminutive mallet and chisel. Between the latter and Art is a head in relief of an unidentified bearded man.
Presumably Sheffield City Councils Education Department. The architects were by E.R Robson of London and T.J Flockton of Sheffield.
The telephone is a reference to the Telephone Exchange (now Steel City House) opposite.
About the artist:
F. Onslow Ford (1852-1901) was also the sculptor for the monument to Sir Rowland Hill, now in King Edward Street, London, outside the main General Post office.
page maintained by Dave
Slide Collection, Learning and IT Services
Last updated September 5, 2006