Public Art Research Archive, Sheffield
Hallam University PUBLIC ART IN SHEFFIELD
Dog, date not known
Bar Centro, Bailey Lane
Above the doorway of
a disused industrial building on Bailey Lane, S1 (A-Z p.4 3C)
A stone carving of a Pointer Dog,
with the word STANCH inscribed beneath. The dog is outstretched and appears
to be running, but often goes unnoticed situated as it is on this run down
building on a side street. This is the Dog Brand trademark of J & Riley
Carr Ltd the manufacturing company that occupied the building until the 1950's.
The business was established by Riley Carr in 1806 in Bailey Lane but relocated
to Herries Road South in 1954. Originally the company were concerned with
merchanting steel and making steel and saw fenders but later manufactured
saws, files and machine knives..
Presumably J & Riley Carr Ltd.
It has proved very difficult to
get more information on pieces like this