PMSA National Recording Project - South Yorkshire

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough

We are carrying out research on the pieces on these pages.
If you have further information or revisions to the material above please contact me, Dave Ball, by e-mail or telephone: 0114 225 6213 with the details.
We would also like to hear from you with details of any sculptures or monuments which we may have missed.
We are very grateful for any additional information which you may be able to give us.

First Page Previous Page Parent Page Next Page Last Page

ArtistMaker: Crabshaw; Herbert (architect)
TitleOfWork: Tiger
DescriptionOfPhoto: Detail view of carving
DateOfCreation: 1896-7
Dimensions: Width: 120
Medium: Sandstone
Location: Above the main entrance to Barnsley Chronicle Ltd. (The old Drill Hall building). (SE434407)
AtoZReference: p.13 5G
Postcode: S70 2EU
Street: Eastgate
TownOrVillage: Barnsley
AreaInTown: Town Centre
MetropolitanBorough: Barnsley
Photographer: Dave Ball
ImageCopyright: Sheffield Hallam University
AccessionNumber: b033b
Description: A relief panel showing a tiger beneath a Yorkshire Rose. To either side are the letters ' Y ' and ' L '. The tiger is the regimental crest of the Yorkshire and Lancashire Regiment. Beneath is a panel with the date ' 1896 '.
The width of the panel is 120 cm.

Commission: The Barnsley Volunteer Rifle Corps was formed on 13th July 1860, the first rifles for the Corps arriving on December 7th that same year [1]. The Corps became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Yorkshire and Lancashire Regiment in 1881. Eventually money was raised by public subscription and a Drill Hall for the Battalion was constructed on Eastgate at the cost of some 4,300.

The foundation stone was laid by Col. Spencer Stanhope on 30th May 1896 and the building opened a year later on 29th October. The opening celebrations lasted all weekend. Col Stanhope formally opened the Hall, and speeches were made by the Lord Mayor and Lord Mitton M.P. who opened the bazaar, which was succeeded by a charity ball.

In 1937 the building was altered to accommodate anti-aircraft guns.
In the 1920's whilst still continuing its military function the Drill Hall was a social centre of some importance in the town. Dances were held there on Saturday nights, boxing-matches were held there and it could also by hired by companies to promote their products.

As the money for the Hall had been raised by public subscription and the Drill Hall was held in trust for the people of Barnsley and leased to the Territorial Army for a nominal rent. When the building was sold to Barnsley Chronicle in the 1990's the trust was wound up and the proceeds of the sale went to several charities including the South Yorkshire Foundation.

Two memorial plaques inside the building remember the regimental losses in the First World War and the alterations to the building made in 1937.

References: [1] "Occurances and Events of Interest in Barnsley and District, 1229 - 1922"
Other information provided by Barnsley Chronicle Ltd. from the Barnsley Chronicle.

work in sheffield other locations documents links
search homepage

Photographer Dave Ball (unless indicated otherwise above)
Images copyright Sheffield Hallam University
For permission to use any image from these pages please contact us
This page maintained by Dave Ball
Slide Collection, Learning & IT Services
Last updated July 18, 2005